Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Wayward Beer

So that Saison wound up being several shades lighter than planned. I knew the projected color wasn't right, but just sort of went with the flow. Promash treats dark candi sugar as if it contributed color as powerfully as malt, which, logically, it just doesn't. But I adapted on the fly and this went from being a dark winter saison to a russet-amber autumn saison and I think it'll be good anyway. I upped the hopping to rebalance the beer, increased the last addition on the fly, and spiced carefully. It should be intriguing at any rate.

Was planning on going ahead with a Bavarian Weizen tomorrow, but the yeast packet is being quite recalcitrant. I may be screwed here, which might mean a totally superfluous trip to Syracuse, or a sizeable delay in making this beer. Damn UPS and their inexplicably delayed delivery. Shit. On the other hand, the Saison is bubbling. Hurray for Belgium; to hell with Germany.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you started on my celebration brew yet?

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Not yet. I'm a little afraid of that recipe honestly... We were talking about that crazy imperial stout. Here's the quantities:

Barclay Perkins Imperial Brown Stout (1856)
13.5 lbs Pale
2.8 lbs Amber
6.5 lbs Brown
14 oz Roast

Bitter with 17 oz Goldings
OG 1107

Ask Brian if he's moderately confident it will be decent and I'll do it in a month or so. I'm tempted to tweak the recipe but it seems stupid not to keep it historically accurate as that is part of the point. I could also drink a Stone Imperial Stout for inspiration and just design a safer, modern version. What do you think?

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home