Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Kolsch done, Brett to follow

Made the Kolsch today--went pretty smoothly. Brett Brux Beer is tomorrow. Finalized recipe is as follows:

6 gallons
OG: 1056
IBU: 24

8 lbs. Pils
3.5 lbs. Wheat malt
.5 lbs. Acidulated malt

1.8 oz. Mt Hood for 60
.5 oz. Mt Hood for 2

Mash at 148.
Ferment with Brett Brux in approx. 1.5 pint starter.
Don't over-aerate (see Wild Brews, page 183)

My theory (and I want to emphasize that I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing) is that this will produce a very, very fluffy, quaffable, dry, half-sour beer that will be very refreshing and dominated by peculiar, fruity, horsey, leathery, yeast aromatics. Time will tell. Sounds good in my head though, doesn't it?

A quick note on my young "Batch 51" Barley Wine. It's young, but it's good. Nice ruddy amber color; light carbonation; decent head. Lovely hop nose (Warrior dry hop); kinda citrusy with a delicate layer of pininess. Candied malt aroma peering through that. Warm, enveloping, very soft palate. Doesn't really feel like it'll take all that long to mature, strangely enough. Definitely more malt balanced than my first barley wine. It's more about sweetness and nice (Belgian) specialty malt character, rather than screaming C-hops and so on. Yum. I like it overall. Will it be able to compete with the Bigfoot-esque glory of my maiden barley wine voyage, "Old Crowbar"??? I don't know. Probably not. But I did succeed in making a totally different barley wine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Interesting concept for your Brett.
You brew from the heart, instead of by formula. I enjoy doing the same.
A barleywine I brewed in Nov 2003 was done completely with a SHITLOAD of noble European hops, just for fucking spite, and as an interesting experiment. It's tasted great along the way, and is tasting even better, as time goes by.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

That barley wine sounds pretty good.

The brett beer (thanks for your interest) is in the fermentor. Here's hoping it cooperates.... Pretty high maintenance yeast...

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home