Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

1850 London Porter

I'm depressed and cold and irritable and so I'm having a beer. This is one of the several beers I've done based on information from _Old British Beers_. This is based on Whitbread's London Porter from 1850. It's been in keg for around 3 weeks.

It's pretty much jet black with a generous, retentive head. The nose is all about coffee and roast character. The mouthfeel is sublime--very oily and dense. This is more highly hopped than the last two historical dark beers I've made (an oatmeal stout and another porter). It probably needs a little more time to round out, but I like the slight raspiness of the finish as it currently stands. While it has plenty of roast grain character (in the form of black patent), this has a strong foundation of brown malt which provides much of its depth of character. It's quite nice now but needs time--I'll try to be patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home