Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What to brew next...

Crap. I have too many options. This weekend may be a good weekend to brew a little extra as I'll have returned a batch of papers and don't have anything major to prep--just gotta re-read Titus Andronicus...

Possibilities include a US pale ale, another IPA, a Kolsch, a Steam Beer, something British, and a crazy all-Brettanomyces beer. A nice simple pale ale would be awfully nice to go in the next empty keg (never far off). But I'm thinking I better make the Kolsch as it will need to lager for summer consumption. The Brett thing seems too fun. Maybe I'll do two batches. The Kolsch recipe is already written, using the very good Eric Warner book on the subject as a reference. Will be pils malt, a little wheat, bitter with Perle, aroma with Hallertau Mittelfruh. It's all jotted down somewhere. Here's a stab at the Brett beer:

OG: Around 1056
IBU: 26-ish

8 lbs Pilsner
3.5 lbs Wheat
.5 lbs Acidulated Malt

Bitter with Mt. Hood. No flavor or aroma additions (which will be hard for me).
Yeast: Brett Brux.

Big question is where to mash it. Have to think about that. If in doubt, 152 can't be too far wrong, but I don't know whether to shoot for dryness and go low, or treat it like a lambic and leave unfermentables for the brett.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

That's what he said actually (152). Though I'm toying with idea of going lower... We'll see.

Awesome guy, Vinnie. Answered instantly and thoroughly and very kindly.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home