Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Great Depression Part II

Am I the only one who thinks we're headed for some serious shit? Cuz I think we're headed for some serious shit. So, yeah, I'm bitter and depressed, but I shouldn't complain. Clearly, I didn't washed out to sea in a fucking hurricane. And I didn't drown in goddamn sewage while various elected officials jerked off. But whether I can afford to drive my car is borderline and the chances of me not running up a large credit card debt this winter are nil. NPR says natural gas prices will go up 70% this winter and we cannot, in any way, afford that. Pretty soon our heating bills will outstrip our mortgage and I'll have to quit my job and work in, like, a fucking meat-packing plant or something somwhere warmer. In the meantime, half the south will be starving to death and New Orleans will be a toxic wasteland. In other words, anyone who can afford utility stocks will be rich enough to bathe in Dom Perignon, and the rest of will fucking rot. Add rampant inflation and you've got a recipe for total fucking disaster and I am in no way equipped to weather it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

who knows what that douche-bag is talking about, but I think your fear of the apocalypse is a good reason to get good a beer making. You'll always have income, because no one will ever stop drinking if they can help it! A valuable trade, more useful than english professoring....

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a reason your house cost less than $100,000 bucks. Come back to California. My gas bill is only 20 bucks a month...of course the house costs more....

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, that last post was snarky - Jason, soon your wife will finish law school, pass the bar and then you will be supported by the highly lucrative work she does in the manner which allows for the proper appreciation of the finer things in life, including beer. =) No meat-packing plant for you.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Hey Mara,

Didn't see yr comment--that was amusing. How's motherhood?

8:38 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Hey Mara,

Didn't see yr comment--that was amusing. How's motherhood?

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motherhood is good but I would not combine it with work for the first three months. I love my little rugrat though...I have cute pictures! Mother love is the most tender and fierce thing you can imagine. I also have strange and amazing powers now - I can function on 4 hours of sleep, don't mind spending 8 hours a day nursing and can carry a diaperbag, stroller, and a whole load of produce from the farmer's market in one hand.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

So, you're SuperMara now... That's awesome.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - but no capes. Learned that from the incredibles.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home