Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Old Heathen

Just a quick tasting note. Drinking a Weyerbacher (PA) Old Heathen Imperial Stout. It's not bad. Pretty black--decent head. Smells like a stout made with a ton of crystal malts, which give it a nice smoothness and a rich foundation. Subtle nose balances fruit and a relatively refined, espresso-like roastiness. Only problem is I don't want my imperial stouts refined. I'd take Old Rasputin over this in a heartbeat.

And the more I think about it, the best imperial stout I think I've had is Stone's. It's about 2% a.b.v. stronger than this and has far, far more roastiness, which I think is crucial. It's not mindlessly roasty either--it's got chocolate and hops and tar and interesting cherry-ish esters and the whole boatload of sensitive bullshit. (I think that was a phrase from "Howl." Anyone confirm that?) But it is hugely, hugely roasty and I just demand that from an imperial stout.

So to the people at Weyerbacher I say: Up the roast barley, up the chocolate malt, throw in a little black patent or carafa, whatever you have to do. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home