Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Trappist Singel

This is a different beer. I'm trying my Belgian Singel which has just finished warm conditioning. As usual, a month in the basement'll probably do it good. I used Wyeast 3787 which is really a yeast for strong ales and it does rather dominate this beer a little. The nose is really yeasty and phenolic. The palate is quite dry and has this neat toasty effect from the Belgian Biscuit malt. Dry, slightly parching finish. Lingering combination of hop bitterness and toasty malt. I guess the question is whether the yeast aromatics will die down a little and meld with the hopping more. Considering the substantial late additions of Hallertau and Spalt, there's not as much hop in the nose as I'd like. This definitely would be a kind of aperetif beer, in the vein of Orval actually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home