Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Post Boston Brewing

Finally made that barley wine today. It's thinking about actually fermenting. OG was 1093, which was a little off the intended 1097, despite my flinging in a little DME at the last minute. I think my efficiency suffered as a result of totally over-straining my lautering system. May calculate a small sugar addition into the secondary to bump to 1097--honey or molasses or something. That beer was a lot of work. Next time I'm doing a big beer, must calculate max grain amount. The Belgian Stout barely stayed in the bucket--if I didn't flood the bed too much. 18 lbs is too much, so if I get into really high gravity brewing, a second Zapap lauter tun is in order. If I want to do some of those giant old British beers, or any Dogfish Head World Wide Stout clones, my current bucket will never do.

Last night drank a Concorde Brewing Co. beer: Rapscallion: Creation Dark Reserve Beer. Brought back from Boston. Had a really distinctive maltiness--I need to research this brewery a little. Have one other beer of theirs in the basement.

Eastern Thing is in bottles.

Here's a Tripel recipe so I can buy grain:

For a gravity of 1081:

10 lbs Belgian Pilsner
2 lbs German Munich
10 oz German Wheat
2 lbs Sugar of some kind

For 46 IBU:

2.25 oz Styrian Goldings (60)
1.5 oz Czech Saaz (15)
.5 oz Styrian Goldings (5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home