Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Blue Velvet and Rochefort 10

My father-in-law, his new wife, and Lisa just say down to watch "Blue Velvet". . . not knowing anything about it as far as I can tell. I thought to myself: "Smokey, you are entering a world of pain." I said I had to work on my class for tomorrow--which I do and will--but first I need a Rochefort 10. This is sort of an experiment--I'm trying to drink similar trappist ales in close succession. Yesterday was Westmalle Tripel and Chimay White. Today is Rochefort 10 and Westmalle Dubbel. Thank god I ought to be able to brew similar beers for, oh, a sixth to a fourteenth of the retail cost.

Rochefort 10: Not a ton darker than the Westmalle, but significantly so. Certainly its a dirtier, duskier, more sepia-type brown. It's awkward to compare this to Westmalle really, because the 10 is incommensurably larger, but I thought it might help illuminate the house malt characters for future brewing projects. How's that for intellectualizing a bad habit? As against Westmalle's 1063 and 7%, this is 11.3%. What's the OG?

Enormous chocolatey nose--like really bitter, high-cacao-percentage chocolate. Profoundly spicy nose too.

Collecting a little info from: http://www.whitebeertravels.co.uk/rochefort.html

Wheat starch is used??

MJ says Pilsner and CaraMunich malts are the main ones plus dark candy sugar and, despite the heavily malt-balanced styles they brew, nice hops from Germany and Slovenia.

The Rochefort 10 experience is really something. I suspect it's about liberal use of Special B, not too many lighter crystals, a little black malt, just barely enough low-alpha hops to balance (no flavor or aroma addition whatsoever). And a very, very spicy, vigorous yeast. Oh and the dark candy sugar goes without saying. This beer gives me chills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home