Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Racking

Just deciphered the XX label more carefully. This one was bottled November, 2000. How that resolves the yeast question, I don't know.

Victory Golden Monkey -is- pretty good when drunk on the east coast. Though I still think it's not nearly as good as the other Belgian styles Victory makes, or, for that matter, Hop Devil or Prima Pils. But a very respectable Tripel all the same.

Tested my smoke beer: I think it's coming around. Considerably less medicinal and solventy. More smokey. Lovely malty palate shows promise. Moved it into a colder area for a pre-bottling lagering period.

Racked the oatmeal stout: Tasted great. Very big. Should I dilute this one slightly??

Racked the Belgian stout: Tasted a little odd, but that goes with the territory. Plenty of interesting malt flavors plus some erratic, slightly sulphury phenols. It'll chill out.

Tested the IPA: Very promising.

Tested the Singel--A little thin and weird. Where's the hops? May need to monitor this one. Should I throw some Goldings in there or trust that it'll come around?

Tested the Pilsner--Tastes good. Smells a little odd--vaguely cheesy. Moved it to a colder spot. I'm sure it'll lager itself back into shape--it was just actively bottle conditioning at 55 or so.

Too many beers to monitor. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home