Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Too hoppy?

And one more teeny thought. I've been tasting my way through the Smuttynose big beer series, now that I've found a source. That would include a Doppelbock (B+/A-), a Maibock (A), a Scotch Ale (A), and, now, (or, rather, two days ago) Big A IPA. This is an award-winning IPA by the way. I'm intrigued to report that I might finally have found a beer that's too hoppy for me. I mean, I love hops, and it was a good beer, and I'd drink it again. If you wanted to give me a case, believe me, I'd take it. But it is SCREAMINGLY bitter. I think it's hoppier than Stone Ruination. My tasting notes (on a post-it) are a little skeletal:

Huge, HUGE, _HUGE_.

Thin head. Massive hoppiness w/a kind of creamy component. Medium bodied. _VERY_ bitter finish. More bitter than Ruination? Almost too bitter. . .

I'll have to have another. It's a fascinating beer with a wealth of hop richness. So maybe it wasn't too hoppy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home