Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Allagash

Just a quick thought: Allagash, a Belgian-style brewery in Maine, isn't bad. Am drinking Allagash 4. It's quite rich and complex. Delicate, rustic corkiness. Copper-colored. Nose has a rich hit of what I think is aromatic malt. Not much hop aroma. It's not necessarily stunningly complex, but there's some nice stuff going on in this beer. I guess I wish it had more yeast complexity. No scratch that. The glass I just poured that's a little colder has more going on in the nose. I don't know. It's OK. I liked it, but was not moved. I have another one of their beers in the cellar. Will contemplate.

Tomorrow evening will be a chaotic evening of Singel bottling and Dubbel brewing. Recipe finalized about like the other night. Decided to add a tiny, tiny, late addition of Styrians plus one pod of star anise at shut-off. It's a good looking grain bill--I'm optimistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home