Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Flying Dog Double Dog

Saw this at Marcy Discount Beverage and thought, "what the hell..."

It's a fairly deep color, drifting toward amber.

What's the difference between a double pale ale and a barley wine anyway?

This is 1.102 with 10.5% a.b.v. and 85 I.B.U. so it's pretty much in barley wine territory.

The nose balances (kind of) a huge layered malt character and pretty intense hops (Cascade and Columbus according to their site). It is definitely not a double IPA given the serious malt warmth and fat heaviness--much more like a 'roided up pale ale. So they named it right... The palate is really huge, swinging toward deeply weighted dextrinous malt flavor.

It gets more complex as it warms up, the herbal, almost vegetal, occasionally minty, dry hop character dancing with the over-blown and delicately fruity malt flavors.

I think I'll save the other two bottles for winter.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did u drink 4 bottles? ur an alky.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Goodness. Aren't "u" clever?

It was a 4-pack. I shared one with someone else the day before. Then I had one by myself. That left two.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home