Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Lisa keeps posting on my blog

Lisa has decided she can post on my blog. I say no. What's the ettiquette here?

Anyway, rumors are flying.

Yes, I had a nasty brewing accident.

Brewers, and for that matter cooks in general, BEWARE!!

As part of my sparging set-up, I lost my grip on an 8-qt stockpot of boiling water. This resulted in a great deal of screaming (real screaming) and the throwing of myself into a frigid shower and the frantic application of ice to sensitive areas. Oh, and the abandoment of a batch of steam beer. The mash was adopted later that day by my next door neighbor/

After a trip to the emergency room, a follow-up at a burn center, morphine and other powerful drugs, and the application of various ointments and unguents by a lovely Ukrainian woman, the ultimate picture is that I'm leaving for London in one piece. I have first-degree burns all over my chest (like an unusually nasty sunburn) and nasty second-degree burns (think yellow pussy blisters and some skinless patches) on both legs. Fortunately, the burns to truly delicate areas are minor.

All in all it was a truly horrifying experience, but I'm seeing the first stages of some healing already. It will be an inconvenience and will involve some pain for a couple weeks. The burn dude said there'd be no scarring so all things considered I feel very fortunate. It could've been worse.

So BE CAREFUL WITH HOT LIQUIDS, ya hear?!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

He omits to mention the large first-degree and small second-degree burns to his boys.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Honkymagic said...

I'm slowly working my way through the posts here and having a good time. Any thoughts of posting more of your recipes?

8:53 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Thanks for reading. Yeah, I put up a recipe now and again, but not that consistently. I'll keep that in mind. I'm about to launch into four or five batches in the next week or two.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home