Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Long time no post

It was a weekend of hard brewery labor. Over two ten-to-twelve hour days, I

Bottled Subcommittee Imperial Stout
Bottled Recalcitrant Saison
Bottled Sterling Wheat Saison

Brewed Batch 100 Bourbon-Oak Imperial Pale Ale
Brewed Bad Angel Black Saison

Racked Saison de Noel, dry-hopping with Tettnang (This wins the "most promising coming out of primary" award. Yummy.)
Racked Research One IPA, dry-hopping with Simcoe and Santiam
Racked Recount Red, dry-hopping with Chinook and Columbus
Racked Ad Hoc Dubbel

Kegged Mish-Mash Stout

Fuck I'm tired. Not exactly rested and ready for the work week. But I had a serious back-log from the end-of-summer excessive brewing period. Things should die down a little now, although I do still have several things in secondary. Many are intended for kegs fortunately. Homer sleep now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Trina said...

All that makes my little cider production seem so insignificant! SO I had better make more, right? I picked double the ammount of pears as last time and they are a bit more ripe. I need more yeast. The idea is to bottle the last batch when this batch is ready to get out of the bucket. Here I go again.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Trina said...

Okay, California Pearish Cider Round 2. Got some more WL775. Ground ~25lbs of random little pears to a pulp. Added 1 gallon Gravenstien unfiltered apple juice (Trader Joes). Added about 1 gallon of bottled water (too much pulp, too little liquid...)Got a S.G. of 1.060 again right off the bat (I think that is what the juice by it self is, but we were surprised the water didn't dilute it. This batch will probably sit for nearly a week on the pulp barring any freak outs on my part. Batch 1 will probably only yield 3-4 bottles.

On a different note, New Belguim is offering a Fall Seasonal Saison. I got a 6 pack at Whole Foods, it was the last on the shelf. I also got some weird gueze. I don't remember the name. You should call Kier and make him drink it.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Trina said...

The new belgium saison is SO SO, I like the Farmhouse Saison 7 better. Perhaps if I concentrate on just one variety of beer for a while I may actually figure out what its supposed to taste like!

Mom called me at 7:30am to tell me that the pears are breaking down rapidly now in the cider. The first stage of cider making appears to be that the pears suck up ALL the liquid, the second stage seems to involve the yeast chewing rapidly on the pears from the inside and turning them into mush. I love that mom's excited (though she probably won't drink the stuff...) but 7 am is a little much....

10:59 AM  
Blogger Trina said...

Sorry dude. I was right. You don't know shit about brewing. Just kidding, but the idea to let the pears sit for longer before straining was a bad one. We ended up with a sauce like mush that most closely resembled baby secretions (read puke and shit). It was hell to try to strain. I think we lost alot of volume and I really doubt this batch is going to clear. We'll try racking it a couple extra times and see if that helps. I was a little tempted to throw a bit of the pulp into a batch of bread since it closely resembled thick bread started. I resisted the urge. The first batch bottled nicely and we figured out how to cap the bottles. I have a bit of a problem with estimation of volume, and therefore kier and I chugged a large bottle of TsingTao (kier was working, its working beer....) to have an extra to use, then we ended up also using a cage top bottle mom had. I had her keep that one in the kitchen just in case it decides to explode. The moral is trust my freakouts when it comes to real fruit. If anyone needs cross country proxy freak outs I can try to help. I can also send out waves of 'good parking karma' but for it to work you must *believe*.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Dang, dude, you've been busy.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Trina said...

We racked round 2. It was a miserable experience. About 1 inch cleared in each jug. We strained as we racked it and will try again next week. I think this batch may be hopeless. Damn.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home