Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Dulle Teve

This beer and I have a vexed history. It's a pretty inconsistent product, but every time I've found it at least interesting and sometimes it's really blown me out of the water. The name means Mad Bitch, either in Flemish or some odd-ball local dialect, and it's brewed by de Dolle Brouwers. It's pale and heavily sedimented with a decent but unamazing head. The nose is dominated by bright mint/basil/grassy herbaceousness with some woody cork notes. The palate is sexy and full with more apparent malty sweetness than I suspect the beer actually possesses, from a statistical standpoint. That grassiness in the nose has at times reminded me of pot--and it does this time too. What a quirky, complex beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home