Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

And another superfluous post just to hear myself talk

And, by way of another thought five minutes later: I think I'm gonna let the weather dictate my brewing a little more. Though barley wine will be lovely in winter it'll take forever to make even if I start now. As long as my basement is fifty degrees, after the planned Belgians (which will age beautifully down there) I'm going to try my first Pilsner and squeeze in a Belgian strong ale somewhere. As long as I can actually conveniently manage a free, lengthy cold-aging, why not make a Duvel-type beer? It's effectively a lagered ale, so after a fairly warm fermentation by a radiator I'll give it a nice long secondary in the basement, and a nice long bottle conditioning in the car hole or under the cellar doors. If I get on it, I oughta have a wicked beer (tentatively titled Doctor Doom) by May. Starting with info from Randy Mosher and a Michael Jackson piece on the Duvel process. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home