Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Pretty Things

Pretty Things Beer and Ale. Never heard of 'em. Saw a bottle of their Jack D'Or "Saison Americain" and felt like I hadn't tried anything new in a while. They appear to be a very small brewery in Mass and if this is any indication, someone knows what they're doing. Grassy, hoppy, spicy nose. Reminds me ever so faintly of a NZ sauv blanc (my favorite white wine), what with the grassy thing. Actually, scratch that. It reminds me a LOT of a New Zealand Sauv Blanc. It's that grassy, green bell pepper thing. Shit! I love it! Dry, peppery palate. Nice bitterness, higher than would be traditional with (a look at their site confirms my palate suspicion) some U.S. hops. Wow. Quite a discovery. I'm going back for a few more bottles. They were being closed out at a local beer store... Pourquoi???

Oh, the label's a kick, by the way. It's, like, a birch forest with a washtub, and some sort of rutabega looking character with a Frenchy handlebar mustache taking a bath in the tub. I'm guessing he's a barley kernel, actually, but my first thought was, "What the fuck? It's a rutabega taking a bath!" Perhaps they were inspired by de Dolle Brouwers to do whacky illustrations.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home