Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Valediction X: The Star Chamber

I love this beer. It's the last fucking bottle. DAMNIT.

Star Chamber is a double IPA: Lovely, retentive head. Soft carbonation. Beautiful, crystal-clear, pale amber color. The nose is not as hoppy as it was when the beer was young, but it still sings. The palate is full, soft, teasingly bitter. No trace of harshness at 12-13 months old. The alcohol is hardly noticable.

It seems to me that there are two kinds of double IPA's. On one end is Dogfish Head's 90-Minute (relatively soft, winey/brandyish); on the other is Smuttynose or Pliny the Elder (brash, more emphatically hoppy). This leans toward the former and I would reproduce this exact recipe without alteration. All I did is scale up my normal IPA. Gotta make more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trina said...

What about Double Bastard? We have a bottle waiting for you. Kier and I couldn't finish one together at Thanksgiving. I think its a 4-5 person beer... At 12%+ it damn well should be.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home