Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Rauchbier

On a random whim, I poured my only bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Ur-Marzen, purchased, I think, in Boston a year ago. Some people hate this beer and regard it as a sausage-y over-smoked monstrosity. To those people I say: FUCK OFF!!

I love this beer. German beer is a weird thing for me. I have little-to-no desire to brew German pils (Czech is better), Marzen, Helles, the main-stream stuff, you know... I like the oddities: I've made three batches of smoked beer; I just bottled a Kolsch; I could imagine doing a Schwarzbier; I'm working on an alt. Anyway, the Schlenkerla is the weirdest, most enigmatic beer made outside of Belgium. It has a hugely smokey nose and a layered, provocative malt character.

Smoked beers have been a mixed bag for me. My first one was a resounding success. My second one sucks at this point. It may come around with more lagering but I'm not optimistic. The third attempt is a smoked pils, which I think should come out pretty well, but the jury will be out until mid-summer.

I'd like to take smoke beer in the direction of lower-maintenance ales. Sometime this summer I'd like to smoke a bunch of Munich and Pilsner malts on the Weber over, say, applewood or something and produce a big, gutsy smoked American ale, sort of in the Rogue style...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Bamburg produces some interesting beers. I'm going to smoke some malt this Summer, and make a small (5-gallon) batch, myself.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Have you read the Daniels/Larson _Smoked Beers_. If not, it's really good on the subject and has lots of techniques for home smoking.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Yes, that's where I got the idea, originally.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home