Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Assorted stuff

I'm sipping Probation Pale. Unfortunately this beer has lousy clarity because I kegged it without a secondary fermentation--this was pure laziness and opportunism on my part. Dumb-ass. On the other hand, it tastes quite nice. This is a simple recipe. 1051; 42 IBU. Easy on the specialty malts--just a touch of Carasatan and Amber. Chinook and Cascade. Nothin' crazy. The nose blends nice, lively C-hops (mostly Cascade) with the little signature nutty quality that amber malt brings to the table. Clean, nicely balanced palate. Very session-able. I like it.

In more exotic news, I tested my all-Brett Brux Belgian and, hallelujah, it's pretty damn nifty. It's dead pale, lightly hoppy, a little sour, has wonderful leathery, lightly barn-yardy aromatics. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. I'll bottle it within a week or two, doing 6 or 7 corked bottles to lay down and the rest in 12-oz'ers. I think this will be a splendidly refreshing summer beer. I'm psyched. Oh, and it finished at 1.002! I think I'll bring a corked sample to "Belgium comes to Cooperstown" and hope I run into Vinnie Cilurzo.

Also brewed my singel--went pretty smoothly. Should be totally different from my other one. I trust 3787 to make great beer, though you never know when it will start decimating airlocks and taking over whole city blocks, spewing krausen all over an unsuspecting populace. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home