Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Friday, March 10, 2006

All hail Vienna

The malt, not necessarily the city--never been there. I'm just sipping Blue Hood Pale Ale. Near the end of the keg and I wanted to pause and reflect on a pretty yummy beer. This was an APA, sort of: 1053-ish with 37 IBU's. Vienna + Mt. Hood. End of story. I -love- the color Vienna gives--a very clean, elegant gold. The head is scary good--almost kinda shaving cream-y. It's highly drinkable. Nose combines subtle hop spice and a little bready maltiness--very uniform palate follows through on all of that. It's just a really elegant, under-stated beer. I'd brew it again without change. I'd also considering adapting lager and Saison versions of the same. Maybe even like a Euro-barley wine or something like that. It's good that I'm enthused, cuz I have another 40-odd pounds to use up. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home