Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Wheat Doppel

OK, so I'm ordering a shitload of stuff tomorrow: Grain for an XX-Bitter style hoppy Belgian, grain and hops for Holly's Chair (a rye brown), and the specialty malts for Cynthia's graduation beer, also known as 1856 Barclay Perkins Imperial Brown Stout.

This leaves just one yeast that is begging for re-pitching: The Weihenstephan cake from my Hefe-Weisse. Logic and economics would suggest that the time is right to brew up a beer in the manner of Schneider Aventinus. Consulting my references. . .

Starting gravity: about 1074
7.7 abv
Pale, crystal, and dark malts
Caramalt (Bamberg)
"deep, russet brown"

Examining the German malts available from Northern Brewer. Hops would presumably be Tettnang or Hallertauer.

Pilsner + Wheat base
Durst Crystal
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
have Melanoidin already
Pale, Dark, and Caramel Wheat available.

Shit. This is complicated. Jerm called. I tweaked another recipe instead. Bloody hell. I may try to fix this tomorrow--not sure how to do it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I'll do my best... It's such a weird recipe, but yes, I'm about to submit the order. I'm making a decent amount of it. Implied is that you'll have to visit and we'll drink some over dessert. And then you'll need several to take home. The hard part will be waiting. I tend to sample...

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home