Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Dubbel and grading

I hate grading. That's no surprise. But the end is near in that respect. In the meantime, my Belgian Dubbel is good.

Color is great--deep reddish brown. Respectable head. Aromatically, I get a little passion fruit (could that be picked up even a little more with orange peel?) spiciness (clove?), a hint of anise, a distinct creaminess (which 3787 seems to do), a huge plum thing, and some dried fruits, a little banana on the high end. The palate is just wonderfully soft, utterly without sharp edges. Doesn't have huge body but is somehow mouth-coating. Earth and a little chocolate kick in in the finish, which is lingering and nicely dry. I'm pleased.

2 Comments:

Blogger CalCook said...

Sometimes I feel sorry for your liver.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

My liver's a trooper. It can take it...

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home