Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Brewing Schedule

I've ordered all the grain for the last few beers I've been rambling about. The rough plan goes something like this. Make a pale ale this weekend. 2 weeks later, bottle that and pitch a barley wine on the yeast cake. In the intervening week I'm making a smoked Marzen, to get that lager thing out of my system for a while. One more double decoction and I shouldn't want to make one till next winter. Of course, I could make another Pilsner on top of the old Pilsner yeast, or make a Bock on top of the Marzen yeast, but that would be insane, no? This makes for a very hectic three weeks of brewing, but what the hell. I also ordered materials for an IPA which can be made on the barley wine lees at such time as seems appropriate. Maybe I'll give the barley wine a two week primary and use the primary sediment. Spring break presents some opportunities--maybe I can fit the IPA in then, plus planning some more Belgians and at some point just a good simple stout. The IPA isn't too terribly time sensitive though--I'll keep the grain cool and the hops in the freezer. I could even make it before the barley wine, but I'd like to be able to age the barley wine at cool temps for a while--better get it out of the way. Oh crap, I forgot the oatmeal stout. That's happening sometime. Worst case scenario things'll get hectic and I'll brew three or four times of break. No reason not to. I think I'll also learn to cook Indian food over break

By the way I like my porter. Yes, it's awfully high on the aroma hops, but those Willamettes blend rather nicely with the roasty, toasty malt.

Am I going to have enough bottles?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home